Thursday, October 8, 2009

City of David

We went on the coolest field trip to the City of David this week! we saw the ruins of King David's actual palace, the wall that surrounded the city anciently (also would have been the wall where Nephi hid, waiting to sneak in and get the brass plates from Laban), watched a 3D movie- yeah i was as shocked as you probably haha, and we got to walk through Hezikiah's tunnel! 
Ok Hezikiah's tunnel is the natural and once the ONLY water spring that ran under the city of Jerusalem. they dug this tunnel so they could control the water flow and its course during King David's time. But that was no bueno because this is also how the Roman soldiers snuck into the city and destroyed Jerusalem. It is just big enough to fit a person and the water was up to about our shins. it was pitch black and the water was cold! just imagine a whole Roman army quietly sneaking through here in the night to attack the city-- CRAZY! 

Also, there is a set of stairs that is under ground now, but was once above ground, that led to the Jewish temple anciently. These are the only stairs in all of Jerusalem that we know for an absolute FACT that Jesus actually walked on! and now I have walked on them too... 


That is a fire in Bethlehem that we saw when we got out of the tunnel. Remember how i told you there is total chaos in the city right now? wasn't lying. 



This is Richie who was in front of me the whole time, that is until he decided to run ahead and wedge himself into a crack in the wall and wait until i came by so he could scare me to DEATH! I thought it was the body of a Roman soldier or something! and i think i almost caused the tunnel to CAVE IN with my scream. good one Richie.

1 comment:

  1. Hey La! I just wanted to tell that I have been looking at your blog and I love it. I love seeing your adventures and reading your funny experiences. Keep up the good work, I am experiencing all of this amazing history through you! Love you and I'm glad you are having such a great time.
    Your cuz, Melanie

    ReplyDelete