On Wednesday night we had Arab culture night here at the Jerusalem Center and it was a blast! (No pun intended) haha ok ok I’m sorry I couldn’t help myself, I am just kidding.
Ok but seriously, it was so much fun! So we all got to dress up like Arabs, except I didn’t have anything because I have not bought an Arabic outfit (My mother told me to only buy things here that I would appreciate when I got back home, and somehow I just don’t picture myself ever wearing a sheet covering my entire body except my face, around campus… that might kill the dating scene.)
We hear prayer call here 5x a day throughout the city, and the two men who actually sing the call over the speakers came and sang it for us here! It was tremendous! And then we got to watch how Muslims pray! I wonder if they thought our opening prayer was as cool as we thought watching them pray was.
Next we had a HUGE Arabic feast! You know when you go to a buffet, and you want to try everything so you just put a tiny spoon full of each dish on your plate, but by the time you get back to your seat you could feed an NFL linebacker + yourself? Yup… that is what happened J it was some of the weirdest food I have ever tasted, with every bite it was like a party in my mouth. After the meal, and vowing never to eat again for the rest of the month, I would say that Arabic food is good, But I probably wouldn’t choose to go to a Palestinian/Muslim buffet for my next birthday dinner…
Following dinner, we all went into the gym and watched 4 Arabic teenagers perform a traditional dance, and then they taught it to us all! It was a riot! Every single person was holding hands, jumping and dancing wildly around the gym! All I have to say is I am not sure why my mom never signed me up for Arabic dance lessons when I was a lad, because I think I could have had a lot of potential-- not!
No comments:
Post a Comment