Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Marhaba/ be excited for some pics!

Marhaba is Arabic for Hello and if you want to say hello back then you say “marhabteen.” Now practice up so that when I say hi to you when I am back in the states you will respond correctly and not make a fool of yourself in front of all the Arabic’s living in Utah…

 Saturday (our Sabbath here) we went to the Garden Tomb where it is believed Chris was laid to rest, and then later resurrected. We sang songs like, “I believe in Christ” and “I know my Redeemer lives” while sitting in the garden and can I just say that there is no way anything gets cooler than that. Well… except hopefully the weather because it is HOT HOT HOT!

 Yesterday was free day so about 50 of us hopped on a bus and headed into the capitol of Israel, Tel Aviv, and went to the BEACH! The Mediterranean Sea is the warmest water I have ever swam in before! It is honestly like a giant bathtub! We hung out on the beach from about 10:00am to 4:45pm… what a life. Later, a bunch of us went to dinner, and walked on the beach as we watched one of the most stellar sunsets I’ve ever seen. Wow, that sounds so romantic- but don’t get your hopes up because I was on a date with 12 girls.

 Today we went on a field trip to some pretty sweet places! Including the valley where David killed Goliath. We got to try and hit a fake Goliath we made with slingshots and rocks (what David actually used). Lets just say that we are glad my good friend Shelly was not the chosen one to take down the Philistine warrior because when she tried to hit our Goliath statue, her rock shot out backwards and my other friend Megan was inconveniently in the way! 2 crying girls (one because she had been hit in the face with a rock, and the other because she had in fact hit a girl in the face with a rock), some blood, one nurse on staff, and a gauze pad later, she was OK!

 Cave spelunking is a real sport, and I am now an expert. We went to some amazing caves today! But one cave we went to, The Micah Caves, I felt like Bear Grillz because the entrance to the cavern was a tunnel underground about 1 ½ feet wide and 2 feet high! Claustrophobic- I am not. Extreme- yes I am.

 

p.s. I am going to post funny things that people say because they are just too good to keep to myself.

Yesterday at lunch I was asking a girl some questions just to get to know her better. I proceed to casually ask her what her pet peeve was and she said, “ah! When ugly people flirt! I just can’t stand to watch it! If you’re ugly, just don’t flirt.”

I had no more questions for her after that.

P.P.S. I hope you're excited for some pictures! it is hard to find WIFI here to download pic's but i was successful this time! so here are a few- enjoy! 


Just call me cave woman


Swing our slings at David and Goliath valley

conquered the Micah Caves



Tel Aviv Beach with all the girly's!


Garden Tomb

Under the Jerusalem Center


King David Hotel

Yoga at Samuel the Prophet's tomb
Ally and I both love flowers in our hair :)
City of David





Going under the Jerusalem Center (no i did not shave my head)


Inside Micah Cave

2 comments:

  1. Lauren!! I love you and miss you! This blog is AMAZING and I am so glad that you are doing this. You are wonderful

    PS I am back in provo. Meaning for good. Meaning im taking fall classes. Hmm yea guess you need a life update from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. laurie!

    this is SO AMAZING! i am loving life knowing that you now have a blog i can check out and know what you're doing. dude, sincerely... i miss you around. sure we hardly ever saw each other, but knowing you were nearby made my heart content. but now, alas.. no more, no more. but you are having a grant ADVENTURE!! and i'm so happy for you!

    you look beautiful, i love you. i'm sooo happy you're having such an incredible experience already--and it's only september! i can only imagine what will come in the ensuing months. :)

    love you man.

    ReplyDelete