Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'll sleep when I'm dead...

Last night i got 1 1/2 hours of sleep because they were able to get the BYU game here live! so it started at 2:00 am-5:30! so i went to bed at 5:30 and woke back up at 7. Yes, I AM fully invested.

Yesterday was the sabbath (it's on Saturday here) and it was so awesome to have church here in the Holy Land! Makes it difficult to concentrate on the speaker when all you have to do is look past them and BAM! there is the amazing city of Jerusalem in the back ground. After church a bunch of us all went to the Orson Hyde Garden which is where Orson dedicated the land here as THE holy land. You have to go with 5 people and 1 boy though if you go because it is a local drug park and gang hang out as well... haha uh? but no worries, we had no problems! It is actually a very peaceful place, and we got to sit and watch the sunset just past the dome of the rock- is there anything cooler?

Today we went into the city and we went to a local hospital where four of us got to help feed the babies in the nursery! it was SO FUN! Arabic babies are adorable! they were only a couple days old so they were so so tiny! while we were there, they brought in a baby that was just barely born! we got to see them wash it, give it immunizations, measurements, and all that fun stuff they do to a newborn. I loved it!!!

Later that day we went to The Church of The Holy Seplecher which is considered the Holy of Holy's to the Christians. it is where they believe Christ was crucified and also barried. it was one of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen! one thing i have learned so far about all the people here and all the different religions is that they are all so dedicated and passionate about what they believe! watching these people fall to their knees and worship at all these holy places, weeping and swaying is truly astonishing to see. religion is EVERYTHING here and it has been such an eye opening experience so far.

FUNNY STORY:
So a few others and I were waiting for a taxi to come pick us up today at a gate called Dung Gate which is the Jewish part of the city. all you have to do is call The Jerusalem Center and they will send a taxi to come get you. *sidenote: All the guards here at the center are Arabic and such awesome people! but anyways so an Arabic guard called me and was asking me if i saw the van that was there to pick us up.
"no, i don't see it anywhere", i said.
"well ask someone what gate you are at just to make sure you said the right one." he said.
So i looked around and of course all there are is Orthodox Jews standing next to me, so i looked over at three men and very sceptically asked them what gate this was. But i was not sure if they would even talk to me or what! so just picture me, in my white V, aviator sunglasses and cell phone in hand- Such an american- and all three of these men stop their conversation and turn to look at me. I then repeated my question very timid, not sure if they even spoke English and one said,
"this gate is Habauch..."
so into the phone I say, "we are at Hay-buck gate," and the Arabic responds, "WHAT? that does not mean anything to me!"
As soon as i say "hay-buck" like such an American DORK the Jewish man says, "no no no HAUCHbauch" while making a noise in his throat that sounded like he was going to hauck a loggie!
hahaha! thank you very much for correcting my Hewbrew! I think this is the start of a very good relationship :) and yes i then repeated it again back into the phone with a 'i have a very bad itch in my throat' noise. I think i heard the man on the phone fall out of his chair laughing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    This is Grandma Ricks. I am reading your blog that your dad showed me how to access. He and I had a funday golfing. Now he is showing me how to reply back to you. My email is genealofan@aol.com. Write me!
    Love you tons!
    G-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you see the byu game last night-it was incredible! G-pas and my favorite place to go in jerusalem was the Damascus Gate. We used to love to go there and just watch all the interesting comings and goings. I know you are going to have a great time this Semester-even though I wish you were in London!

    ReplyDelete