Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lesson Learned


So I kind of had a crazy day out in the city a few days ago. By crazy I mean adventurous! Because that is how everything here is.

Ok so we are not allowed to wear flip-flops outside of the center and as we start trudging up the hill to the old city, I forgot I was wearing mine still and it we were too far to go back. So I just decided to ask for forgiveness rather than permission and wear them. Bad decision…

These particular flip flops I had on were made of nothing more than about quarter inch foam, which equals ZERO padding and ZERO support. The streets here are all stone and very uneven. Combine the three and you get one word- OUCH. After about mile 3 of walking around, my feet started absolutely killing! Also as I was walking an Arab decided that I looked a little dirty perhaps and thought he would help clean me up by spitting on me! Yes that is correct… I also thought it was just a joke until I saw a rather large loggie running down the back of my ankle and plopping into my flip flops. Yuck! Though everyone thought that was rather funny.

By about mile 5 my eyes are on the verge of spilling over tears, my feet felt like a mac truck was parked on top of them, and the skin in between my toes where I was gripping desperately to try and keep them on, were seconds from breaking. Think my flip-flops have not betrayed me enough yet? Either did they. When we were about a mile from home, we suddenly very quickly realized that we had wandered into the forbidden Arabic part of the city, so we had to back track and high-tail out of there. But as we are speed walking and I am clenching my teeth with every throb of my foot my flips decided to quit on me completely-- they broke. Ever walked through the streets of Jerusalem in flip-flops? Ever done it barefoot? Luckily I persuaded a group of girls to catch a taxi with me the rest of the way home. But now I will never again complain or question the rule that we cannot wear flip-flops into the city. A lesson learned by experience, truly is a lesson learned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment