Life is a little rough right now. I am doing a type of therapy called "exposure therapy" and it is rough. I was diagnosed with PTSD a few years ago now and exposure therapy is a newer type of therapy that treats PTSD and can even cure it, getting rid of all symptoms. PTSD for those of you who don't know, stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I had something traumatic happen in my life and my brain didn't quite store it right. instead of storing the memory in the hypothalamus, where memories reside, it stored it for some reason in the frontal lobe, where personality, decision making and rational reside. Scientists don't know why this happens exactly- it's an unconscious action obviously and the result is PTSD with a memory. The difference is someone who had something traumatic happen and does not have PTSD will perhaps think of that memory, or something will trigger it, and they will have emotion. sadness, fear, regret, maybe they will cry. but it is a MEMORY. a bad one, but a memory. now someone with PTSD will get triggered or think on the memory or it will spontaneously come up and IT IS LIKE THE TRAUMATIC EVENT IS HAPPENING ALL OVER AGAIN. Your body responds from your head to your toes as if your trauma is happening all over again. Its not just a memory, it is a flashback and you are there all over again, and in the meanwhile, your brain is getting RE TRAUMATIZED all over again. and the vicious cycle continues.
the results of Exposure therapy are astounding. People who have successfully completed exposure are no longer qualifying for PTSD diagnosis or any other type of anxiety disorder! unbelievable.
So anyway, I am smack dab in the middle of exposure therapy right now and it is BRUTAL. Probably one of the hardest things i have had to do. But i believe in process, and i will hang in there and never give up, because i want a life worth living.
Last night, 'person i love' was looking into my eyes very thoughtfully. I asked "what do you see?" 'Person i love' says, "I see a lot of hurt... i see a fight going on, but you seem tired... tired of fighting so hard... tired of hurting. sometimes i see hopelessness and that scares me."
'Person i love' is a very special kind of person.
I am tired- i had secrets buried deep inside as long as i can remember, and i've only been alive 22 years. Sometimes I just cry because i am so exhausted. sometimes i am too tired to sleep, too tired to move... but i always pick myself up and keep marching on. i refuse to give up, i refuse to quit. Life has DRASTICALLY improved over the last few years and it is only getting better and better. That doesn't mean that i feel no pain inside anymore, it doesn't mean there aren't really hard days when i feel like throwing in the towel, but as a very wise woman told me, therapist, you can have both. you can hold both emotions... sadness AND happiness. fear AND safety. confusion AND understanding. life is a balance.
I have my moments where i feel i surrender and i feel hopeless and too exhausted to pick myself back up and keep marching on... but the difference is i don't allow myself to stay there. i ALWAYS CHOOSE to pick myself up. I let myself stay in those lows for a moment, and then i take a deep breath, put my shoulders back and chin up and i MARCH ON.
"When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you till it seems as if you couldn't hold on a minute longer,never give up then, for that 's just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher
Lauren, you truly amaze me. I just want you to know that you have always been someone I look up to. It makes me sad that I had no idea you were going through so much when we were living in the same apartment. I wish I would have been a better friend for you. You light up the room Lauren and people notice that. Don't let anything get you down. You go girl! If you are ever down in Orange County, we would love to see you!
ReplyDeleteEmily Lange
I hate that you've had to struggle with so much. Can your trials lighten up already?! Just keep being the strong girl I know and you'll make it through. But until then, I'm so sorry you have to experience all this. Love you.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the best descriptions of PTSD I have ever read...
ReplyDeleteI can tell you, cliche as it is, it DOES get better. It was hell for a long time, and it sometimes still catches me off guard how NOT hell it is.
In the meantime, take good care of you. I'm not sure there is anything more hellatious than the work you are doing right now.