Friday, May 21, 2010

first taste of my journey in becoming a nurse.

First i want you to take a good look at the picture above.
This is a catheter insertion into the chest and up through the carotid artery. it is for Dialysis access for kidney failure patients.
figured out what is going on? ok good. now here is my story...

Today at work (vascular surgeon office) it was a slow day. only two patients were scheduled. I am becoming really good friends with all the nurses and doctors and so while we were just casually going about our office duties, i asked the nurse (*remember names) Stacy what my chances were of ever standing in on a surgery?
She said, "mmm not good. but i bet you could assist in a procedure we are doing today. Jason (the doctor) is going to be removing a ladies chest vascular tube. would you want to do that?"
"YES YES YES!!!" i about screamed!
"do you mind blood because it is kind of bloody?" she asked me.
"nope! I am totally good." i replied with confidence.

So she shows me exactly what to do during the procedure, what to hand Jason and what my responsibilities are. I was a little nervous, but I was so excited to actually assist on a procedure like this!

The lady comes into the back room and we begin.
I have gloves and a surgical mask on and i start handing Jason tools as he asks.

FIRST: i hold a large vile of clear liquid while he inserts one VERY large needle into it and fills a syringe with the liquid.
SECOND: i watch as he gently shoves this needle into the woman's chest (numbing it), and listen to her SCREAM in agony.
THIRD: the lady grabs my hand tightly and is screaming while i hold her body still and talk softly to her trying to calm her down.
FORTH: watch as blood starts oozing out of a hole in her chest and Jason slowly pulling a tube out of this woman's body.
FIFTH: (we are going to go from Stacy's memory now because i was CHECKED OUT from this point on in the story) Jason says to Stacy ever so calmly as she walks in the room to check on us, "Stacy, can you do me a favor? can you catch Lauren real quick?"
SIXTH: I am dragged out of the procedure room by my arms.
*now back to my memory*
SEVENTH: I woke up in the hallway with 2 nurses surrounding me, trying to muffle their mouths full of laughter, and handing me juice.

Yes sir, this is the truth. I totally passed out while holding the ladies hand.
was thankfully caught in the arms of Stacy the nurse.
and has now become the office joke because for some reason all the doctors just found it absolutely hilarious.

I kept my gloves so i could scrapbook them :)

*p.s. no i was not grossed out at all by the blood or anything, but yet for some reason i still fainted. but no worries, this will NOT stop me from still becoming a nurse.


3 comments:

  1. BAHHAHAHAHAHA! I love your description and I really do think this is hilarious! I wish I saw it! Way to keep your optimism. Ps- Us + Hanging out would = My happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! blake's first time shadowing a heart surgeon he almost did the same thing. He says he wasn't queasy, just hungry.... But who am I to make fun of you guys? I passed out in high school like every time chelsea gould had a seizure... so, you win.

    ReplyDelete