Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Jerusalem, If I Forget You...

Today was my last day living in Jerusalem. Definitely bittersweet. We leave for the airport in Tel Aviv tonight at 2:00am. we went out into the city all day today for one last time... and it was definitely emotional.
I have grown to absolutely LOVE this place over the past few months. My life has been changed forever because of my experiences here. The friends I have made are some of the best I have ever known, The people here are some of the greatest people I have ever met, and the teachers and faculty will never be forgotten. There are no words to discribe my life changing, epic adventure in Jerusalem. I will NEVER forget this city and this center for as long as I live. This has been the most incredible experience thus far in my life. I feel like a completely changed person, and I am SO blessed to have been able to come here! Jerusalem will always have a piece of my heart.

This is a poem that my friend Jordan wrote and It describes how i feel about this city perfectly:

Lord, I am living in the land where you once lived. —
I am standing where you stood;
I am wandering the paths you walked,
Though I cannot hear your voice teaching at the temple,
I can hear the testimonies of your pupils.
I cannot feel you in these erected holy places,
But I feel you in sweet hymns that lullaby my heart.
I cannot see you in the icons of lavish churches,
But I see you in the faces that surround me.
I cannot touch your pierced hands and feet,
But your mercy touches and pierces my soul.
I will not taste the slightest of thy burdens
But you have tasted the bitterness of mine.
I cannot comprehend your tender mercies,
But I know you comprehend the paths I’ll walk.
I cannot forget you, I will not forget you.
Not here, or anywhere.
-Jordan Caroll

No comments:

Post a Comment