Monday, June 20, 2011

Job #2

I started training at Heritage School today. it was nuts! I want to be a therapist so it is so good for me to be able to start in my career field so early. but man oh man, it is some crazy stuff that psychiatric world. The brain is SO fascinating! HUMANS are so fascinating. the things we do to get by and cope with the hard things in life and to feel good about ourselves. That is exactly what these kids were trying to do in their life as well, and they probably went about trying to in the best way they knew how, but what was meant to help them feel better in anyway turned into addictions of all colors, shapes and sizes. I learned so much today in only my first training. One i thought very interesting was this: Mentally healthy, "normal", people do a behaviors to FEEL BETTER. Addicts do a behavior to feel DIFFERENT. when they hate feeling whatever it is inside they are feeling, when they don't want to feel that twisting pain buried so deep down, they do an ineffective or harmful behavior simply to feel something different than what they feel in the current moment.
Interesting eh?
I think i am going to love this job. Being a therapist is my dream job. i want to help people, especially the youth. everyone hurts inside, some more than others. and everyone just wants to be heard, to be listened to and have someone actually very much care what they have to say.

2 comments:

  1. Cool, I'm glad you're loving your job La.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool lauren holy cow. i can totally see you as a therapist. you'd be the best at that cuz you're so genuine and such a good listener. love you

    ReplyDelete