Wednesday, August 11, 2010

seriously!?

So because I have been through many medical classes now as i journey toward my final destination of a Nurse Practitioner, I frequently have friends ask me medical questions.

just call me Lauren Ricks M.D. (oooh i like the look of that. classy)

Yesterday a friend asked me what it meant if she was peeing about 3x as much as she usually does. I asked her questions thinking maybe it was a UTI.
no, that diagnosis was ruled out quickly.
So i told her the other possibility is that she could be a diabetic. Urinating unusually frequently is a sign of type I diabetes. I told her an easy way to check without going to the doctor.
taste your urine.
if it is sweet, you are diabetic.
if not, then you are fine.

That is seriously how they tested for diabetes about 50 years ago.
urine is sterile so it wouldn't hurt you.

ok if i told YOU this,
WOULD YOU TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!?

well she did.
She called me today and told me she tasted her urine... and she had no idea if it was sweet or normal because she had nothing to compare it too. so she is still confused what the diagnosis is.
I covered my mouth and with very wide eyes, screamed into the phone

.............................................
OH MY......................
barf............

I am not a licensed doctor people, do not take my medical advice to run your own labs at home.

2 comments:

  1. EW. thats disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAAAAHHHH!!!! hahahaha what?! she REALLY did it? hahaha soo funny. and gross. bechhhh

    ReplyDelete